Since management is a process that consists of several interrelated elements, these elements in management are called functions. The operative functions of business, production, personnel, purchasing, finance, marketing, etc., should be different from managerial functions.
Operative functions differ from one organization to another, and they are not universal. For instance, in a retail store, there is no production.
Contrarily, management functions differ from one organization to another, and they are common to all enterprises. Study help me is one such platform where you can gain insightful information about functions of management.
For example, all organizations perform planning. The various functions of management that are important to be remembered for assignment help are as follows:
- Planning: A plan means a course of action that is decided in advance. It tells us about the objectives which are to be achieved and also about the steps which are necessary to achieve them. There are few features of planning: –
- Planning aims to achieve specific objectives.
- It refers to a continuous process.
- Planning is also known as all-pervading; that is, it is needed at all levels.
- It involves a mental exercise of a manager.
- All the other functions are based on planning.
- Organizing: When plans are formulated, the manager has to implement the plans through a network of authority-responsibility relationships. This process is called organizing. There is few importance of organizing: –
- By proper delegation of authority, growth and diversification can be facilitated in a sound organization.
- To match work with talent permits optimum use of human resources.
- The enterprise can adopt new technology in a harmonious organization.
- Initiative and creative thinking are encouraged by a sound organization which leads to the development of managerial talent.
- Organization refers to the mechanism by which management controls, directs, and coordinates the enterprise’s activities.
- Staffing: Staffing involves a process of matching jobs with individuals so that the right person could get the right job. It is related to developing, maintaining, acquiring, utilizing human resources. There are a few importance of staffing that must be remembered for help in homework: –
- Competent employees for various jobs can be discovered and obtained with the help of staffing.
- By putting the right man on the right job, staffing can improve the quality and quantity of output.
- The job satisfaction of employees can be improved through staffing.
- Developing the talent of employees can facilitate the growth and diversification of an organization.
- By avoiding wastage of human resources, it reduces the cost of personnel.
- Directing: The technique used to issue instructions and keep an eye that the operations are being planned is direct. There are few features of directing: –
- Since directing initiates actions, it is an executing function.
- Directing is also creative since it converts plans into performance.
- As directing is concerned with human behavior, it is the interpersonal aspect of management.
- It shares a link between controlling and planning.
- Directing refers to the continuous function and is the function of all managers.
- Controlling: The process of determining whether moral progress is made towards the goals and objectives to correct any deviation is known as control. There is few importance of controlling: –
- The efficiency of operations is improved, proper implementation of plans is ensured, a delegation of authority and coordination is facilitated through an efficient control system.
- To assure corrective actions, it must report deviation promptly.
- It reflects the organizational pattern and needs of the activity.
- The exceptional or critical areas should be given more attention.
- The control system must be easy enough to provide for efficient application, and it must have flexibility and be economical.
- Coordination: An orderly arrangement of group efforts providing unity of action to pursue a common purpose is coordination. There is few importance of coordination: –
- The conflict between departments of the organization and different groups can be eliminated through coordination.
- A balance is provided by coordination between persons having different interests and abilities.
- To secure better results, it combines the different resources.
- The needs and interests of employees, Government, customers, investors, and other external groups are coordinated.
- The increased specialization, growing size and complexity of organizations, and rapidly changing environment increase coordination.
- Coordination as the essence of management: Coordination refers to the results achieved by the proper performance of managerial functions. Coordination has to be a part of all managerial functions, just as the thread in garland. Among the activities of subordinates, a manager has to create unity and rhythm just as the conductor of an orchestra. Through the management process, a manager achieves coordination which is the outcome of managerial functions.
- During planning, there should be coordination between the plans of different divisions or departments and the master plan of the enterprise. Coordination is also required between available resources and objectives.
- In organizing, coordination is required between the responsibility and authority of every individual. One should not assign the same work more than one time. If there is a lack of unity between different divisions and departments, the organization would not be effective.
- During staffing, if we balance the abilities and skills of employees with the jobs assigned to them, then coordination can be achieved.
- During directing, motivation, leadership, supervision, communication would be required to ensure the harmonious working of the organization.
- While controlling, we can achieve coordination if we ensure that actual results are conformed to the plans as closely as possible.
There were a few critical sub-topics in the domain of functions of management. These essential topics are a must while students work in a commercial environment. The points mentioned above are sufficient to offer assignment help or help in homework to the students studying the same. Thus, students must remember these points to have full knowledge of the topic.